Illegal dumping is not only an eyesore, but it impacts the Scenic City in so many ways:
- Increases health risks
- Abandoned and decaying garbage attracts rats and other disease-carrying creatures.
- Increases environmental risks
- Illegal dumping of hazardous waste can contaminte soil and water.
- Increases costs
- Collecting abandoned garbage costs money which is passed onto taxpayers.
- Encourages more dumping
- Abandoned garbage, even small amounts, will become full scale dump sites in only a few days. Allowing garbage to accumulate on vacant lots, in front and backyards and green spaces only makes the problem worse.
- Contributes to other illegal activity
By tolerating or participating in illegal dumping you send a message to violators that these and other types of non-desirable activities are okay in your neighborhood.
How do I report illegal dumping?
To report illegal dumping, call 311 or visit www.chattanooga.gov and click on the 311 logo.
For a recent local news story detailing how illegal dumping affects our health see: http://wdef.com/illegal_dumping_investigation